Thursday, November 1, 2012

The End of an Era

My little one is getting bigger and I’m in the process of weaning her from breastmilk. When I first started breastfeeding I hated it!!! I always had to stop what I was doing to feed her. It was especially annoying when her dad would point out that she was hungry. Grrrrr…

Now, I can look back and say it has been an enjoyable experience. As part of my job we encourage mothers to breastfeed. I know, I know there is a big debate going on in the world today, but for me it was something I was determined to do. Believe me it wasn't a fun experience in the beginning. She spent the first week latching on with her gums rather than her tongue prior to having it clipped (she was born tongue-tied). But I was glad I continued.

So all in all I found a real treasure in breastfeeding. I know some people are against it, some people overdo it, and some people have a hard time but looking back it has been such a rewarding experience for me.

It helped me lose ALL of my pregnancy weight,
-  I had a lot of down time (Can’t do anything and hold a breastfeeding child *Yay*)
There is a certain closeness you get when you breastfeed that I couldn’t imagine getting any other way
Did I mention we saved a LOT of money?!! I get teased at work because I boil the babies water instead of buying bottled so you know I loved this part!
She now has less risk for allergies, obesity, ear infections (Thank God!) and all of the other of benefits (please see link for helpful information about breastfeeding) she received by being breastfed.
 
But all good things must come to an end. I knew early on that I would be stopping at 6 months and well it is finally here. *sad face* Even though I have a feeling of sadness as this time passes with her growing I know I can’t do it much longer. Now the little one is squirmy and interested in everything but being still and eating. She’s getting bigger and it just isn’t as relaxing as it used to be for either of us. Lucky for me she has taken well to formula, is eating solids and is already holding her bottle.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment